Working onboard a merchant vessels offers a series of advantages and inconveniences that must be taken into account and evaluated before deciding to search for a job in this sector.
- Very profitable conditions coming from the combination of interesting earnings and the lack of expenses, because you donít have to spend any money in lodging and feeding.
- Opportunity to travel the world and see exotic places continuously and for free.
- Time off to enjoy a ship designated with the luxury and amenities of a five stars hotel, and to visit the exotic ports of call all around the world as if you were on holiday.
- Chance to meet very different people from all around the world.
- Possible promotions.
- The cruise ship industry is so wide that, once you are in, there are plenty of opportunities to find another job.
- Long shifts and extensive working days (12-14 hours a day and 7 days a week).
- You could suffer from seasickness (nausea, dizziness, etc).
- The personnel are always on. Although there is a time off, the employee is expected to be ready to work twenty-four hours a day.
- Small and very modest lodging, very far from the amenities of the life at home, shared by, at least, two persons, which demands mutual understanding and coordination.